Spokesman insists no cover-up of cabinet’s decision on Chinese submarine deal

Government spokesman Lt-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said today (Tuesday) that he didn’t inform the media about the cabinet’s decision last week approving the Royal Thai Navy’s plan to procure one Yuan-class submarine from China at 13.5 billion baht because the issue was stamped confidential and also reporters did not ask about it.

He insisted that the government had no intention to cover up the submarine procurement issue and that the project was transparent and went through proper procedure.

He defended that 40-70 issues were proposed to the cabinet each week and, hence, it was not possible for him to inform the media of all the issues and he would pick only issues which are of public interest.

Lt-Gen Sansern said that the submarine procurement was a government-to-government deal and was in accordance with the military’s long-term defence strategic plan to deal with security problem in the future.

Today, we may be allies. But, in the future, we may turn against each other to compete for marine resources. So we must have the capability to defend our resources, said the government spokesman.

Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)

Post Author: thailandmirror.com