Over 50 students of a rural school in Kaeng Krachan district of Petchaburi province were rushed to hospitals on Wednesday after they suffered severe stomach ache and vomiting from suspected food poisoning.
Rescue workers were rushed to the school which is operated by border patrol policemen in Tambon Pateng-ngor in response to call for help from the school management to bring the sick students to Hua Hin and Pran Buri hospitals.
Doctors and nurses at Hua Hin hospital were mobilized to help treat the sick students.
Several of them were discharged after given first aid treatment but the very sick ones were hospitalized for observation.
Dr Somchai Thepcharoennirun, director of Hua Hin hospital, said it was too premature to blame food poisoning as the cause of the mass sickness until the provincial health officials had examined the food samples and the faeces of some of the patients.
The teachers said that a group of people brought food to the school for the students for lunch. The food included fried chicken, boiled eggs in soy sauce and doughnut.
But in the afternoon, several students began to experience stomach ache and vomiting, they said.
Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)